Richmond Peace Conference
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richmond Peace Conference

January Peace Conference in Richmond, Virginia

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discussion

+14
Tennessee
Connecticut
Georgia
New Jersey
Ohio
Texas
Oregon
New Mexico
South Carolina
Illinois
Maryland
Thomas Powell
Sequoyah
Virginia
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

176Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Oregon

Oregon

Perhaps in a few months, after the situation develops?

177Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Maryland

Maryland

If I may, our current proposal, as I understand, is as follows:

(1) That those currently held in perpetual slavery, those born two generations hence from them shall be born freedmen, and that in cases of repatriation, that they may be repatriated to another state or to Africa. That is, that this current generation is to be understood as generation one, those in bondage. Their issue, generation two; the issue of generation two, generation three. Generation three to be free on birth, and generation two, upon the birth of generation three.

(2) Measures will then be taken to assure a more equitable distribution of the money collected by tariffs, but all states must agree to respect the tariffs themselves.

(3) State militia will be capped at a small number, a number to allow for internal order without allowing external aggression. This to be noted that the proposal applies to militias of fully admitted states, not territories, such as New Mexico.

(4) Official censure of the President's actions in Texas will be issued by both the House and the Senate of the Federal Congress.

(5) All those arrested in Texas and subsequently court-martialed will be granted a full and unconditional pardon.

(6) A law requiring a super-majority of the Senate to approve of the deployment of federal troops domestically in the future.

(7) In the meantime, the enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Law, will fall primarily to the US Marshells and the General Government.

178Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Sequoyah

Sequoyah

Lewis Jones' eyes have grown large, and his jaw trembles. He does not appear to have heard a word that has been said. Before the Georgian leaves, he finally stands.

I am a Cherokee. I am the Chief Cherokee. I was a young man when Georgia forced my people on that terrible westward trip. I will not speak of the horrors which I endured, or that my family endured, or that my people endured ... all as a direct result of Georgia. Am I this Georgian's inferior because his state proved devious enough to concoct a false treaty to steal our land? Am I this Georgian's inferior because his state proved cruel enough to forcefully evict my people? AM I THIS GEORGIAN'S INFERIOR?

179Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

New Jersey

New Jersey

(1) is the proposal on freedmen we can agree to as a compromise.

OOC: See, BLT, I think I was misunderstanding you, and vice versa.

180Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Sequoyah

Sequoyah

OOC: Oh, okay. I liked this conference, even if my damn inbox is so full.

181Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:40 pm

Oregon

Oregon

The delegate from Oregon rushes over to offer the delegate from Sequoyah a shot of whiskey.

182Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:41 pm

New Mexico

New Mexico

I will bring these proposals to my governor. I will say that, while I do not pretend to speak for Minnesota or Dakota, I believe there will be some difficulty in getting them to sign on to any agreement that requires them to cap their militia size.

183Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Illinois

Illinois

Sequoyah wrote:Lewis Jones' eyes have grown large, and his jaw trembles. He does not appear to have heard a word that has been said. Before the Georgian leaves, he finally stands.

I am a Cherokee. I am the Chief Cherokee. I was a young man when Georgia forced my people on that terrible westward trip. I will not speak of the horrors which I endured, or that my family endured, or that my people endured ... all as a direct result of Georgia. Am I this Georgian's inferior because his state proved devious enough to concoct a false treaty to steal our land? Am I this Georgian's inferior because his state proved cruel enough to forcefully evict my people? AM I THIS GEORGIAN'S INFERIOR?

Senator Trumbull moves to, if need be, place himself between Jones and the Georgian, while Lt. Governor Hoffman speaks quietly to the Cherokee.

Trumbull: I would suggest we avoid demeaning anyone if our goals are to be preservation of the Union - one in which men of all colors both reside and have rights.

184Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Thomas Powell

Thomas Powell

Attorney General Charles Bullock (R) jots down a few notes.

"Some one seat both texans at the different ends of the damn table."

185Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Gov Banks

Massachusetts will not agree to a cap on militia sizes, and Massachusetts will certainly not agree to a required super majority with raising federal troops. The President is the Supreme Commander of the United States forces.

Further more, the gentleman from Georgia has shown this body how inferior southerns, or Georgians in this case, are. You cannot sit before this body an announce that the Negro is inferior because the negro is bonded to slavery.

Would the gentleman from Georgia support the idea that Irish, German, Mexican, Native American and even orientals are inferior?

186Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Ohio

One of the Ohio representatives looks over at the Texans, slightly irritated. "I think I have two antique pistols that might help resolve the Texan dispute." He is quickly pulled aside by one of the other Ohioans, an aide, and quieted. The third member of the delegation stands up.

"I believe that some regulation of state militias is necessary. The recent issues between my state and Pennsylvania is evidence that there are issues with the militia system, crisis or no crisis. States do need to have a militia...particularly out on the frontier, where raiding parties may arise...but also in the event of internal disorder.

"The problem is that the system as of now is not controlled well, and that leads to speculation of abuses as well as abuses themselves. Therefore, Ohio would like to see some reform to this system put in place, as it would not only address many of the problems our Southern colleagues have had with our colleagues elsewhere, but also a rash of problems that have broken out in the North."

187Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Virginia

Virginia

OOC: Sweet Jesus. Last time I leave the computer with everyone here.

https://peaceconf.rpg-board.net

188Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Maryland

Maryland

Gov Banks wrote:Massachusetts will not agree to a cap on militia sizes, and Massachusetts will certainly not agree to a required super majority with raising federal troops. The President is the Supreme Commander of the United States forces.

Further more, the gentleman from Georgia has shown this body how inferior southerns, or Georgians in this case, are. You cannot sit before this body an announce that the Negro is inferior because the negro is bonded to slavery.

Would the gentleman from Georgia support the idea that Irish, German, Mexican, Native American and even orientals are inferior?

I wish to point out that, while the President is the commander in chief, it is not the president who calls for volunteers or has the power to raise an army. This power resides with the Congress.

189Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Virginia

Virginia

Gov Banks wrote:Massachusetts will not agree to a cap on militia sizes, and Massachusetts will certainly not agree to a required super majority with raising federal troops. The President is the Supreme Commander of the United States forces.
Our friend from Massachusetts has misread the proposal. Senate approval is required if the President intends to deploy federal soldiers on an operation within the borders of our Republic. Furthermore, as my friend from Maryland points out, the President does not decide the size or composition of the army. That power belongs to the legislative branch.

https://peaceconf.rpg-board.net

190Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:21 pm

California

Both Californians look at each other at that statement and shift a little in their seats, uncomfortably. de la Guerra a little more perterbed, as well as uncomfortable.

Williams: I think making this conference about the morality of ethnic treatment in the various states will undermine the efforts of this conference more than help them.

191Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Oregon

Oregon

Apparently, you can not call a man inferior based on his color but you can based on where he lives. The gentleman from Massachusetts is throwing stones in a glass house when he calls anyone inferior to himself.

192Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Gov Banks

Oregon wrote:Apparently, you can not call a man inferior based on his color but you can based on where he lives. The gentleman from Massachusetts is throwing stones in a glass house when he calls anyone inferior to himself.

I believe the gentleman is mistaken as I haven't called any man inferior.

193Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Oregon

Oregon

And I quote:\

"Further more, the gentleman from Georgia has shown this body how inferior southerns, or Georgians in this case, are."

194Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Gov Banks

Oregon wrote:And I quote:\

"Further more, the gentleman from Georgia has shown this body how inferior southerns, or Georgians in this case, are."

So I have. Maybe the gentleman from Georgia shouldn't have compared his skin color to others.

195Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 pm

President Chamberlain

President Chamberlain

*The President of the United States Arrives*

Good evening, gentleman. Please excuse my tardiness.

196Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:18 pm

South Carolina

South Carolina

President Chamberlain wrote:*The President of the United States Arrives*

Good evening, gentleman. Please excuse my tardiness.

Shocked OOC: GIVE ME A STICK, I'LL KILL IT!

197Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:28 pm

Oregon

Oregon

Gov Banks wrote:
Oregon wrote:And I quote:\

So I have. Maybe the gentleman from Georgia shouldn't have compared his skin color to others.

And so by acting like those you criticize, you lob the stone that brings the whole glass house down.

With all due respect, we are not here to debate racial equality. We are here to preserve the Union.

198Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:55 am

New Jersey

New Jersey

OOC: STOP WITH THE GLASS HOUSE METAPHOR ALREADY, DAMN IT!

199Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Discussion Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:18 am

Ohio

New Jersey wrote:OOC: STOP WITH THE GLASS HOUSE METAPHOR ALREADY, DAMN IT!
OOC: Careful, or you'll break a window.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum